There are many things to consider when purchasing an Emerald for a custom engagment ring. Below is a short summary to help kick start your search, but I highly recommend speaking with an expert before moving forward on your selection.
Things to consider when buying an Emerald engagement ring:
- The most desirable Emerald colors are bluish green to pure green, with vivid color saturation.
- Expect to see inclusions in Emeralds. This happens because of the way they are formed over time. The less inclusions the higher the price.
- Because it's density is lower, a one-carat emerald will appear larger in size than a one-carat diamond.
- Most Emeralds have gone through a form of heat treatment to improve the color saturation, which is ok.
- Less valuable Emeralds have also gone through a clarity enhancement process to improve it's transparency, which is not ok. Clarity enhanced gemstones have a short life span and will fracture over time.
- Recommended Emeralds start at around $1,000 to $1,500 per carat, and go up from there. Because Emeralds appear larger than their carat weight it's more important to focus on the dimensions rather than the weight.
If you would like to setup a consultation to learn more about Emerald Engagment Rings please contact us here.